Governor Appoints Joe Hassinger to Louisiana Coastal Protection & Restoration Authority
Governor Bobby Jindal has appointed Galloway Johnson director Lambert J. “Joe” Hassinger to the Coastal Protection and Restoration Authority Board. The Coastal Protection and Restoration Authority Board serves as the single state entity with authority to articulate a clear statement of priorities and to focus development and implementation efforts to achieve comprehensive coastal protection for Louisiana.
According to statute, the board is comprised of the following:
- The executive assistant to the governor for coastal activities;
- The secretary of the Department of Natural Resources or his designee;
- The secretary of the Department of Wildlife and Fisheries or his designee;
- The secretary of the Department of Environmental Quality or his designee;
- The secretary of the Department of Transportation and Development or his designee;
- The secretary of the Department of Economic Development or his designee;
- The commissioner of administration or his designee;
- The commissioner of agriculture and forestry or his designee;
- The commissioner of insurance or his designee;
- Seven members who shall be appointed by the governor who are residents of the coastal area and shall be appointed on a proportional basis in such a manner as to reflect the population and land area of the parishes located in whole or in part in the coastal area. There shall be at least two appointees who reside in the area of the coastal area located west of the Atchafalaya River and at least two appointees who reside in the area of the coastal area located east of the Atchafalaya River;
- The chair of the Governor’s Advisory Commission on Coastal Protection, Restoration, and Conservation or his designee;
- The director of the Governor’s Office of Homeland Security and Emergency Preparedness or his designee;
- The speaker of the House of Representatives or his designee; and
- The president of the Senate or his designee.
Joe also has the privilege of serving on the Southeast Louisiana Flood Protection Authority-East, which oversees and coordinates the operations of the East Jefferson Levee District, Orleans Levee District, and Lake Borgne Basin Levee District.